The Advance Man


Fiction - Thriller - General
272 Pages
Reviewed on 07/15/2015
Buy on Amazon

Author Biography

"If you like politics, you'll love my books. If you hate politics, I kill politicians. So there's something for everyone." Rick Robinson

Rick Robinson has spent nearly four decades in politics and law, including a stint on Capitol Hill as Legislative Director/Chief Counsel to then-Congressman Jim Bunning (R-KY). He has been active in all levels of politics, from advising candidates on the national level to walking door-to-door in city council races. He ran for the United States Congress in 1998.

Rick's first book, The Maximum Contribution, took the genre of political thriller by storm, winning recognition at the Next Generation Indie Books Awards and the Hollywood Book Festival. He followed up with others in the series Sniper Bid (USA Book News Best Books of 2009), Manifest Destiny (Indie Book of the Year), Writ of Mandamus (Grand Prize London Book Festival) and The Advance Man.

Rick is also the author of Alligator Alley, a contemporary fiction novel he refers to as "a coming of age novel for gray hairs who never really came of age." After that effort, he assisted America's Got Talent winner Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. pen his biography: From Washing Cars to Holly Wood Star.

Recently, Rick went from fiction to fantasy when he co-authored a political/sports thriller with his friend Dennis Hetzel that puts the Chicago Cubs in the World Series. Killing the Curse has become a favorite of both thriller readers and sports fans.

As a conservative humorist, 48 percent of Americans think Rick's political commentaries for various national publications are devoid of any journalistic value whatsoever — let alone humor. Of the remaining 52 percent, half of them think his columns are serious. Yet, the remaining group helped make his collection of columns, titled Strange Bedfellow, premiere at No. 1 on Amazon’s Top Seller List of political humor.

A graduate of Eastern Kentucky University and Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Rick is back in DC as general counsel for a major trade association where he spends his evening practicing for his next career as an Irish Punk-Rock mandolin player.

Rick Robinson is published by Publisher Page, an imprint of Headline Books.

    Book Review

Reviewed by Paul Johnson for Readers' Favorite

In The Advance Man by Rick Robinson, David Unger is working in his dream job as the advance man for the Vice President. By all accounts, he is unassuming and good at his job. Suddenly, in a flash all that changes. With the nation in mourning over the death of the Vice President, all law enforcement agents are searching for his alleged killer, David, and want him found ASAP. It doesn’t matter that there are major holes in the story. With some unconventional help and a new makeover, the young man has no choice but to hide in DC's trendy DuPont Circle neighborhood - and in this case, hide in plain sight. Richard Thompson, former Congressman, is appointed to fill a vacancy in the United States Senate. Reluctant to return to public life, little does he know he will become an integral part in a well designed conspiracy.

The Advance Man by Rick Robinson is a well developed and well written story. It is not your run of the mill political thriller and is more of a good mystery with some intrigue thrown in for good measure. The reader will quickly identify the varied cast of characters from political insiders to FBI special agents to members of the DC Gay community and even a pair of nasty hit men. The plot moves along at a steady pace that will keep the reader's attention and desire to see what happens next. The dialogue is excellent without the use of excessive bad language or violence. I would recommend this to readers who like good mysteries along with a little political intrigue. A very good story.